Fruity bread fingers
5 July 2010Add to My Folder
Cook up some healthy treats that are perfect to enjoy with young children at snacktime
Sue comments, ‘This is a fab recipe for all ages to try and makes a lovely snack. With no added sugar – it uses honey as a natural sweetener – this recipe is quick to make and tasty, too. The children enjoyed making patterned fruit kebabs before they started mashing their bananas for the recipe below. We even extended the activity by later dipping apple cores in paint and making a collage of shapes!
‘We talked about where the fruits came from and different methods of cooking, and used open ended questions to develop inquisitiveness. We measured and weighed ingredients and extended the children’s knowledge about fruits which grow in other countries. They were keen to try more recipes, cupcakes were a favourite!’
- 60g good quality vegetable oil or margarine
- 125g runny honey
- 1 egg, beaten
- 125g carrots or apples, grated
- 2 small bananas, mashed
- 90g self-raising flour
- 60g sultanas, dried cherries or cranberries
- 1 tsp lemon or orange zest, finely grated
Scholastic Resource Bank: Early Years - subscribe today!
- Over 2,000 early years resources, activity ideas and games
- Perfect for anyone working or playing with children from 0 to 5 years old
- Unlimited access – only £15 per year!