Beatrix Potter crafts
18 May 2012Add to My Folder
Rated 5/5 from 1 rating (Write a review)
Helen Beatrix Potter (28 July 1866 – 22 December 1943) was an English author, illustrator and conservationist, and it is her beautifully illustrated children’s books loved by both children and adults the world over, for which she is most warmly remembered. This year why not introduce your children to some of the crafty, funny and naughty characters in her books – widely available from libraries.
Try using the simplified, board book versions which are more suitable for this age group, sharing the beautiful illustrations with your children and using the corresponding book before each activity. You could also get children to draw their own animal characters to decorate your setting – birds with four legs, a beak and a smiley face – priceless
Mice face mini pizzas (The Tale of Two Bad Mice)
These little pizzas are so quick and easy and they make a great lunch time treat. Try offering a variety of toppings; mushrooms, peppers, pineapple and different cheeses all work well. You can also add meaty toppings such as pepperoni, but if you have vegetarian children present, it’s easier to keep everything veggie. Also, I use tomato ketchup instead of puree as I find children prefer the milder taste.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- 1 burger bun – makes 2 pizzas.
- Cheddar cheese slices
- Tomato ketchup
- Variety of toppings to make mice faces, we used:
- Sweetcorn drained, for teeth
- Cucumber for ears and whiskers
- Sultanas for eyes and nose
- Slice burger bun in half and spread each half with tomato ketchup and top with a cheese slice.
- Lightly grill until cheese starts to melt just a bit.
- Once cooled enough to touch, help children create a mouse face on their pizza using the toppings supplied. Sultanas are good for eyes and noses, and we used cucumber slices and thin cucumber strips for ears and whiskers.
- Let children eat as a snack or lunch time treat.
Scholastic Resource Bank: Early Years - subscribe today!
- Over 2,000 early years resources, activity ideas and games
- Perfect for anyone working or playing with children from 0 to 5 years old
- Unlimited access – only £15 per year!