Boost your confidence
7 April 2008Add to My Folder
Are there times in your setting when conflict among colleagues causes bad feeling? Do you sometimes find it hard to say no? Rona Barbour gives her advice on how to be more confident in the workplace
Think about the kinds of conflicts that happen in your setting – disagreements over ownership, for example, who should do what; disagreements over policy, for example, how things should be done; and general conflicts of personality and style.
The following are common ways that many colleagues try to deal with conflict when it occurs:
- Go into denial and wait and hope that it will go away.
- Change the subject.
- Become emotional, aggressive or abusive.
- Find someone else to blame.
- Make excuses or delegate the situation to someone else.
All of these responses are non-productive. Some of them are actually destructive. This is why understanding the cause of conflict is so important.
Scholastic Resource Bank: Early Years - subscribe today!
- Over 2,000 early years resources, activity ideas and games
- Perfect for anyone working or playing with children from 0 to 5 years old
- Unlimited access – only £15 per year!