Dame Kelly Holmes: Olympic Champion
1 May 2008Add to My Folder
Rated 2/5 from 11 ratings (Write a review)
This multimedia resource features an audio interview with Olympic gold medallist Dame Kelly Holmes, in which the questions are asked by children together with an accompanying biography. There is also a link to a video of Dame Kelly winning her two gold medals in Athens in 2004.
Before using the resource
- Introduce the Olympic Games by making a display of events and competitors, past and present, including Dame Kelly Holmes. Explain that the Games are held every four years in different countries.
- Visit the website for the 2012 Olympic Games for information about the London Olympic Games.
- Provide non-fiction books about the Olympic Games and athletics.
Speaking and listening
Before listening to the interview
- Talk about the sports children have watched on television or in real life. Share children’s likes and dislikes.
- Discuss whether they have heard sports reports or commentary on the radio. Compare listening to this information to watching it.
- Watch the film clip of Dame Kelly Holmes racing, then discuss what the children would like to find out about her. Make a list of their ideas.
- Discuss appropriate questions related to her achievements and those which would not be appropriate.