Olympic Dictionary Game
1 May 2008Add to My Folder
Rated 1/5 from 1 rating (Write a review)
This interactive, ‘Call my Bluff’-style dictionary game allows children to define 30 words related to the ancient and modern Olympic Games. Clicking on a word will give three possible definitions. Choosing the correct or incorrect answer will produce a different sound. A complete dictionary of all the words and definitions, with usual dictionary conventions, is provided as an answer sheet.
Sharing learning and teaching
- In pairs, think of words related to the Olympic Games. Share the lists and ask for definitions. Discuss creating a glossary or dictionary.
- Explain the rules of ‘Call My Bluff’ – one word with three definitions. The aim is to find the correct meaning.
Sharing the resource
- Share read the introduction – ‘How to play’. Note the imperative. Pick out the key instructions to get started.
- Divide the class into teams, each choosing a spokesperson. Play in turn as a class: each group choosing a word and suggesting a definition, while others discuss if they agree. Give reasons to back up views.
- Demonstrate how to check answers.