22 March 2016Add to My Folder
Use this classic tale to inspire your children through discussion-based and hands-on activities.
Goldilocks and the 3 Bears is one of the greatest fairy tales to use with an Early Years group simply because it appeals to all children. Far from being a princess-drenched tale, this story has bears and a feisty, cheeky girl who’s had the audacity to sneak into a cottage!
Using these activities and resources should enable the children to reflect more fully on some key aspects of the story. They’ll be encouraged to think of the characters and their feelings; they’ll be practising their measurement vocabulary and they’ll have the opportunity to get seriously creative. When making porridge they’ll be extending their understanding by watching the changes that take place as the oats are cooked.
This circle time activity has the objective of extending children’s vocabulary as well as inviting them to experience empathy for the characters.
- You’ll need these Emotion cards.
- Go through each of the words on the flashcards, discussing their meaning.
- Some children might like to talk about when they feel sorry, sad etc.
- Talk through the story, and as you do so ask how they think the different characters might be feeling, the flashcard words can act as prompts.
Scholastic Resource Bank: Early Years - subscribe today!
- Over 2,000 early years resources, activity ideas and games
- Perfect for anyone working or playing with children from 0 to 5 years old
- Unlimited access – only £15 per year!