Light and dark
28 May 2008Add to My Folder
Quick and simple science investigations – ideal for whole-class, paired or group work
1. How far can a torch shine?
NC links: Sc1 1, 2b, f, h, i. Sc4 3b.
You will need: a light meter.
Send groups off to look for the darkest corner or space in the classroom. Compare the children’s choices, asking them to decide which they think is the darkest. Measure the light in their chosen places and compare the results with their expectations.
- Which is the darkest corner in the school?
- Why is it so dark there?
- Is it always very dark in that place?
- Do you trust your eyes to tell you how dark something is?
Scholastic Resource Bank: Primary - subscribe today!
- Over 6,000 primary activities, lesson ideas and resources
- Perfect for anyone working with children from 5 to 11 years old
- Unlimited access – only £15 per year!