Katie Morag schools competition
22 April 2009Add to My Folder
The community on the Isle of Coll, home of Mairi Hedderwick, the author of Katie Morag and the inspiration for the Isle of Struay, are inviting schools to take part in a Katie Morag themed competition.
The community of 220 are building a much needed new community centre, which has been named by their primary schoolchildren, An Cridhe (pronounced An Cre-eya) meaning ‘the heart’ in Gaelic.
The community is committed to raising £100,000 towards the project, half of which has been achieved through local fundraising and support of visitors and friends of the island.
Katie Morag is a popular character and the Isle of Coll receive lots of interest from primary schools throughout the UK, which in turn helps the children on the island to develop an awareness of life elsewhere.
Schools are invited to take part in the competition, the proceeds of which will contribute to the community centre. To enter, you need to complete a quiz sheet which asks question based on a letter from Katie Morag. The quiz sheet can be photocopied as many times as you need. Send your entry along with payment (see details and address below). To receive a quiz sheet and letter from Katie Morag, email email@example.com or download them from www.ancridhe.co.uk
The name of each school that enters the competition will be placed in a draw and the competition will be judged and drawn on 31st July 2009.
- The winning school will receive a bespoke piece of Katie Morag themed art work and a story telling visit, from the author and illustrator Mairi Hedderwick.
- 10 Runner up schools will received signed Katie Morag books.
- All schools who enter and provide an email address will receive a Newsletter from the children of Arinagour Primary School describing life here on the Isle of Coll.
To take part, either:
- send in your entries with an entry payment per school of £20, payable to ‘Development Coll’ to Development Coll
Isle of Coll
- or pay an entry fee of £22.50 online with Just Giving (www.justgiving.com/emmagrant10) and post quiz papers to the address above.
Call 01879 230 000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.