Cross curricular: The beautiful game
24 August 2009Add to My Folder
Kick-start children’s enthusiasm for learning with a new cross-curricular, football-inspired series
‘The beautiful game’ was how Brazilian football star, Pelé, described football. The saying has stuck and is still used today to capture the essence of the sport. Now the football season has begun, bring ‘the beautiful game’ into your classroom with some cross-curricular ideas from Hot Topics author, Peter Riley. In the first of four articles, Peter explores the origins of the game with cross-curricular lesson ideas that are guaranteed to score top points with your class. From next month, the activities will focus on football clubs – the badge, strip and songs; followed by the game itself and finally, international football.
- Football through the ages
- The first football games
- Football in Ancient Greece
- Football in the Roman Empire
- Football comes to Britain
- Football in Tudor times
- The modern game
- Football for girls and ladies
Scholastic Resource Bank: Primary - subscribe today!
- Over 6,000 primary activities, lesson ideas and resources
- Perfect for anyone working with children from 5 to 11 years old
- Unlimited access – only £15 per year!