Should children not start formal education until they are six years old?
Children in other parts of the world, such as Scandinavia, do not start formal education until aged six or seven and the emphasis until this age is firmly on play. Should the UK adopt this approach to our children’s education?
- 66% said Yes, children should be able to play more and the EYFS should be extended to seven year olds.
- 9% said No, it doesn’t necessarily improve academic performance in the secondary phase.
- 25% said Maybe, some children are ready for school from an earlier age.
- What is the biggest challenge you’ve faced in your setting this year?
- Do you think mastery is the best way to teach Primary Maths?
- Do you think primary-school pupils are too young for careers advice?
- Do you think the Government should reverse their qualifications policy for Early Years Educators?
- What do you think is the most important skill for children to learn before starting school?
- Do you think the government’s 30-hour pledge is a good idea?
- Do you worry about font styles in teaching resources?
- See more polls